The TECWARE Phantom Keyboard, which I purchased a few weeks ago, has been my go-to mechanical keyboard ever since. This keyboard is a budget-friendly option for those looking for a mechanical keyboard with RGB lighting and hot-swappable switches. In this review, I will share my personal experience with the product and give my overall conclusion on whether or not it’s worth the investment.
I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this keyboard for its price point. The aluminum plate on the top makes it feel sturdy and durable, and the RGB lighting is bright and customizable. I opted for the brown switches and found them to be tactile and responsive. However, they are quite loud, so keep that in mind if you’re planning to use this keyboard in a shared space.
I appreciate the option to change out the keycaps and switches easily, and the software is straightforward to use if you want to customize the lighting or create macros. Overall, I find this keyboard comfortable to type on and have had no issues with it so far.
Design and Build Quality
With a sturdy and well-built design, the TECWARE Phantom+ 87 Key Mechanical Keyboard is a durable option for long-term use. The carbon steel plate and ABS case provide a solid structure, while the double-shot PBT keycaps ensure longevity. The detachable USB-C coiled cable adds convenience and portability. Overall, the keyboard has a sleek and modern aesthetic that would fit well on any desk.
TECWARE Phantom Keyboard: Switches and Keycaps
Providing a smooth and satisfying typing experience, the TECWARE Phantom+ 87 Key Mechanical Keyboard comes pre-installed with Tecware Wraith Switches. With the option to choose between red, blue, and brown switches, users can customize their keyboard to their personal preference. The double-shot shine through keycaps allow for vibrant RGB lighting to shine through, adding to the overall aesthetic of the keyboard.
TECWARE Phantom Keyboard: Hotswappable Switches
The hotswappable switches are one of the standout features of the TECWARE Phantom+ 87 Key Mechanical Keyboard. This allows users to easily remove and replace switches without the need for soldering or other tools. The included key switch puller makes the process simple and efficient. This feature allows for customization and experimentation with different switch types to find the perfect fit.
Full N Key Rollover
Every key press will be registered simultaneously with the TECWARE Phantom+ 87 Key Mechanical Keyboard, thanks to its full N key rollover. This feature is crucial for gaming and ensures that users can execute complex commands with precision and accuracy. The keyboard also has a 10kg actuation force, providing a tactile and responsive typing experience.
TECWARE Phantom Keyboard: RGB Lighting
With the option to customize each key individually using the included software or the 18 pre-configured presets, the TECWARE Phantom+ 87 Key Mechanical Keyboard has full RGB lighting. The lighting is bright and vibrant, adding to the overall aesthetic of the keyboard. The keyboard also has a cool rainbow option and allows for easy mode switching using the function keys.
TECWARE Phantom Keyboard: Value for Money
Offering excellent value for money, the TECWARE Phantom+ 87 Key Mechanical Keyboard has a price point of $79.99. It provides many features typically found in more expensive keyboards, such as hotswappable switches, full N key rollover, and customizable RGB lighting. The keyboard is built to last and offers a smooth and satisfying typing experience. Overall, it is a great option for those looking for a budget-friendly mechanical keyboard.
- The TECWARE Phantom+ keyboard features hot-swappable switches, making it easy to replace and customize switches according to your preference without needing any special tools or skills.
- The keyboard has a full N-key rollover capability, allowing you to press as many keys on the keyboard as you want, and all of them will register at the same time, making it perfect for gaming.
- The keyboard comes with an impressive RGB lighting system. You can control each key individually using the included software, which allows you to customize the lighting effects according to your preference.
- The included software for the keyboard has compatibility issues with Windows 10+ and gets flagged as illegitimate. This can be frustrating for some users who have to deal with constant warnings.
- The keyboard’s brown switches don’t provide the expected tactile feel and may feel a little spongy. Some users may find this disappointing, especially if they’re used to Cherry switches.
- The keycaps have a cheap font design with connected double-shot parts, which can be a turn-off for some users who prefer more aesthetically pleasing keycaps.
- Havit Keyboard: Affordable Mechanical Delight for Typing
- T DAGGER Mouse: A Budget-Friendly Gaming Mouse Review
- SteelSeries Apex 7 Keyboard for Elevated Gaming Experience
If you’re in the market for a budget-friendly mechanical keyboard with RGB lighting and hot-swappable switches, I would definitely recommend giving the TECWARE Phantom a try. The build quality and responsiveness of the switches exceeded my expectations, and the customizable lighting is a nice touch. While it may not be as high-end as some other mechanical keyboards on the market, it’s a great option for those looking to upgrade from a membrane keyboard without breaking the bank.
Questions & Answers:
Question: Can you change the switches on this keyboard?
Answer: Yes, you can. The TECWARE Phantom+ keyboard features hot-swappable switches, which makes it easy to replace and customize switches according to your preference without needing any special tools or skills.
Question: Is the RGB lighting customizable on this keyboard?
Answer: Yes, it is. The keyboard comes with an impressive RGB lighting system that you can control using the included software. This allows you to customize the lighting effects according to your preference.
Question: Is the TECWARE Phantom+ keyboard compatible with Windows 10+?
Answer: Yes, it is compatible with Windows 10+. However, the included software for the keyboard has compatibility issues with Windows 10+ and gets flagged as illegitimate, which can be frustrating for some users who have to deal with constant warnings.